Department of Mathematics
Mathematics is one of the oldest academic subjects which is still flourishing today. It prevents chaos and helps in making our life orderly. New developments in Mathematics are taking place all the time; some of these are result of fresh ideas or reviewing of old techniques while others are stimulated by the applications to physical, biological and social sciences, business, computing and so on. Here in the Department of Mathematics as KUM, we strive for nurturing the power of reasoning, creativity, abstract or spatial thinking, critical thinking, problem-solving ability and even effective communication skills.
Vision and Mission:
The Vision of the Department of Mathematics activities is to help students developing a significant understanding and appreciation of
Mathematics as a creative discipline. Individuals who have completed a degree in Mathematics should be equipped to:
- find employment by utilizing their Mathematical knowledge;
- use their Mathematical knowledge to solve problems; and
- undertake further studies related to Mathematics.
Based on these over-arching objectives, a set of program outcomes has been adopted which describe the skills, knowledge, attitudes, values and behaviors that students should be able to demonstrate by the time thethey complete the program. Specifically, students completing a Mathematics major should:
- gain knowledge in foundational areas of Mathematics;
- communicate Mathematics accurately, precisely and effectively;
- develop Mathematical thinking;
- apply knowledge of Mathematics; and
- be able to solve Mathematical problems using technology.